Categories » County Finance » County Finance Q&A

Related SOG Blog Posts

Related SOG Publications

Related SOG Resources

Discussion Topics

• Hello,I would like to know if anyone will be willing to share their Coronavirus Relief Funds (CRF) plan with our County.  We would like to see how other counties are allocatin...  more
    Last post by Will Massie - May 29
  •   Does anyone use MUNIS for Utility billing and if so do you still have to use an outsider vendor for anything other than printing bills? 
    Last post by Ellis Prevatte - March 20
  • Fellow finance officers,
    Do you want to share your experience dealing with the Single Audit and help advance the audit profession in North Carolina and beyond?
    If yes, please feel ...  more
    Last post by J.B. Lagnie - February 18
  • Does anyone know if a check received for a performance bond for future decommissioning of solar panels should be deposited in an escrow account?  Or can it be deposited into o...  more
    Last post by Cathy Smith - December 27, 2019
  • Does anyone have any policies around time entry for travel and training they would like to share?  We are looking to provide our non-exempt employees guidance on what hours th...  more
    Last post by Jason Forlines - December 23, 2019
  • We are in the process of upgrading, possibly changing our software system and would love any feedback on what other counties are using and how it is working or not working for them...  more
    Last post by Darlene Carrasquillo - November 19, 2019
  • Good Afternoon,I am inquiring to find out if any counties have a funding formula that is used for the school systems. I would appreciate any and all comments on this subject as I a...  more
    Last post by Donald Warn - August 21, 2019
  • We just learned that our indirect costs individual is quitting her employment at the end of this month and will no longer be doing indirect/allocated cost plans...  more
    Last post by Donald Warn - August 21, 2019
  • Does anyone know the next dates for FO certification exams?Thanks in advance
    Last post by Jake Lorentz - April 25, 2019
  • With the IRS changes on taxing non-overnight travel meal reimbursements, has anyone eliminated reimbursing employees for non-overnight travel meals?Thanks!
    Last post by Robert Miracle - April 11, 2019
  • We are looking to simplify our travel forms.  I am looking for examples from other counties of the forms you are using for travel.  Any examples you can provide would be ...  more
    Last post by J.B. Lagnie - April 9, 2019
  • How do other entities handle their sheriff for travel:   Is there an assigned vehicle with a gas card or does he/she receive a monthly stipend for using their personal ve...  more
    Last post by Karen Evans - January 30, 2019
  • Does anyone have a recent RFQ for architectural services for design of a new DSS or Human Services building they could share?
    Last post by David Beck - December 31, 2018
  • Have any medium to smaller sized counties contracted for development of a strategic plan in recent years?  I'm trying to get a ballpark cost.
    Last post by Will Kerr - December 19, 2018
  • Does anyone have departmental policies for a Senior Center? I'm looking for policies relating to travel/meals, etc. for the Senior Center Director while on a Senior trip.  Doe...  more
    Last post by Cathy Smith - December 17, 2018
  • Can anyone describe your process of getting funds for drug buys to your Sheriff's office?  I don't like any of the possibilities here.  Thanks!Robin West Davie Count...  more
    Last post by J.B. Lagnie - December 13, 2018
  • Good morning,I have two quick questions for counties - do you provide administrative services to your TDA besides the collection of occupancy tax, and do you charge a fee for ...  more
    Last post by William Johnson - November 7, 2018
  • For those TDAs that receive occupancy taxes from AirBnB, do you still require that the rental owner file their occupancy tax form?  We're looking for how others processes work...  more
    Last post by William Johnson - November 6, 2018
  • We have a Tourism Development Authority that serves as our main point of contact related to granting requests for occupany tax monies. The County Finance Office collects all of the...  more
    Last post by Sarah Bowen - October 24, 2018
  • Good morning!!Does your local government do their own mosquito spraying (areal or by truck)? 
    Does your local government contract for mosquito spraying (areal or by truck)?&n...  more
    Last post by Ivonne Mendez - September 26, 2018
  • Good Morning!! Do you have any resources that know of NC local governments who do their own mosquito spraying and would be interested in a mutual aid agreement with us. (Cumberland...  more
    Last post by Ivonne Mendez - September 26, 2018
  • We are currently using Smartfusion, but looking at Logics Solutions LLC for ledger, purchasing/payables and payroll solutions. We are a small county government. Can any current use...  more
    Last post by REBECCA GARLAND - August 29, 2018
  • Our Sheriff has asked about the possibility of putting an ATM in the lobby of our Law Enforcement Center's jail lobby.  The idea, I believe, is to make it easier for the publi...  more
    Last post by Beth Hobbs - August 10, 2018
  • We are currently in discussions about having a utility bill audit done on our electric bills and are wondering if anyone has been involved recently in one of these. If so, would yo...  more
    Last post by Tyson Radford - August 9, 2018
  • Trans Co Finance Dtr Ad- Long 18July Draft (002)Dear Fellow Finance Directors,I will be retiring soon from Transylvania County.  I want to thank all of you for your assistance...  more
    Last post by Jason Forlines - July 24, 2018
  • Good Afternoon, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share a quiz that is specific to the Deputy Finance Officer position. Thanks, Bobbie Faircloth
    Last post by Bobbie Faircloth - July 9, 2018
  • I'm looking at ways that counties are providing paid staff out to their volunteer fire departments.  Do you have county employees that are fillng these positions or do you all...  more
    Last post by David Beck - June 7, 2018
  • Is there any county that has a Debt policy that they could share with me?Thank you!Cathy Smith
    Last post by Cathy Smith - June 4, 2018
  • Morning Folks,

Our current Finance Director is retiring in a couple months.  Does anyone have a checklist for things to update/change in the finance world?  We hav...  more
    Last post by Thadd Hodge - May 2, 2018
  • Good Afternoon, If you use Municipay for credit card payments, are you satisfied with the services? Pros/Cons
    Last post by Lindsey Cearlock - April 25, 2018
  • Do any counties currently use Regions Bank's purchase card program?  If so, would you be willing to share pros/cons of your experience?  Thanks in advance for you feedbac...  more
    Last post by Sheila Trotter - April 19, 2018
  • What is the County's obligation to Charter Schools for their capital needs?
    Last post by Cherie Wisse - March 20, 2018
  • I am interested in how counties are billing/contracting with their own GIS departments for services rendered for the updates/support/addressing to the 911 system.  If you have...  more
    Last post by Karen Evans - March 7, 2018
  • We are interested in which Financial, Payroll, and HR Software everyone is using.  Do you like it?  Why or why not?
    Last post by Karen Evans - March 7, 2018
  • Last post by Gay Poor - February 22, 2018
  • Can anyone tell me if re-employment with the County will terminate the payment of the Separation Allowance for a deputy? 
    Last post by William Johnson - February 13, 2018
  • I was hoping that there was a "standard" chart of accounts that was required within Governtment Finance.  If there is one, can you please share that with me?  If not, wou...  more
    Last post by Bonnie Bray - January 10, 2018
  • Has anyone out there built a new courhouse recently? 
    Last post by Robert Miracle - October 12, 2017
  • Does anyone have a list of interview questions for the position of Deputy Finance Officer?  If so, would you be willing to share?
    Last post by Stephanie Humphries - October 6, 2017
  • Are individual scale tickets public record?  Are the monthly bills generated by the County for Tipping Fees public record? 
    Last post by Sheri Small - July 21, 2017
  • How are other counties keeping track of addressing and database provisioning to comply with the NC E911 Board requirements?  How much are you claiming per address change?If yo...  more
    Last post by Lori Mullican - April 26, 2017
  • Good Morning,Can someone explain to me why the refund of sales and use tax for Library's are filed by the County if this is the way it is handled in your County?
    Last post by Tracy Chestnutt - March 29, 2017
  • Does anyone have a policy for government-owned phones that have a statement about personal use that they would be willing to share?  We are also curious about polici...  more
    Last post by J.B. Lagnie - March 14, 2017
  • For those units that have comprehensive policies and procedures manuals, did you create these in-house or use a commercial vendor or software package?Jeanne JarrettCatawba County
    Last post by Jeanne Jarrett - December 28, 2016
  • Do most counties outsource the billing for ambulance services and what percentage is usually collectible?
    Last post by Arlayne Calhoun - December 10, 2016
  • Hello,I am interested in understanding if there are any counties who currently have a sheriff vehicle policy in place? If so, please share or direct me to where I may find informat...  more
    Last post by STEPHANIE WASHINGTON - November 30, 2016
  • HI,Has anyone built a new animal shelther in the past few years?  If so I would like to have any information you are willing to share on it.  I am especially curious abou...  more
    Last post by Tony Helton - November 28, 2016