Categories » Salaries, Benefits, Payroll » Salaries/Benefits Q&A

Related SOG Blog Posts

Related SOG Resources

Discussion Topics

• The results of the League's Survey on Anticipated COLA & Merit Increases for FY18-19 are now available HERE.This survey and others can be found on the League's website at http...  more
    Last post by Chris Nida - April 19
  • Good morning,I would like to know from other Counties the duties that you consider to be payroll related.  Is your payroll person in the Finance or Human Resources depart...  more
    Last post by Cheri Woods - April 11
  • Good morning,We have had an unusual situation over the past week and first I want to pass along so you will be aware.  Second I would like to know your procedures in place tha...  more
    Last post by Sandra Barss - April 11
  • Would like to hear from units that allow take home vehicles for police officers, maintenance staff, etc. Please share any written policies you have and whether this benefit is taxa...  more
    Last post by Jason Forlines - March 14
  • Would any of you be willing to share your clothing allowance policy or procedures. Any help will be greatly appreciated.Thank YouTammy
    Last post by nels roseland - March 7
  • Greetings,Hopefully you all saw in the League's Bulletin last week a note about future employer contribution rates for the Local Government Employees' Retirement System (LGERS). Th...  more
    Last post by Chris Nida - February 7
  • For those of you who have a Paralegal position within the County will you share the minimum and maximum salary for that position? Thank you.
    Last post by Sheri Small - February 6
  • I’ve moved the Introduction to the Fair Labor Standards Act course to a slightly bigger room, so there are a few more spots but not many: only seven as of right now. Register...  more
    Last post by Diane Juffras - February 5
  • Good morning,
    Some of my employees have taxable cost of group term life insurance over $50,000 and Roth contributions.  We are to add these  amounts to boxes 1,3 & 5 (fed...  more
    Last post by Jason Forlines - January 28
  • For IRS compliance purposes, our current Travel Policy does not allow reimbursement of lunch when someone attends a day-long training course.  Does anyone provide reimbur...  more
    Last post by Brooke Hunter - January 25
  • Was there a recent change that resulted in cell phone stipends being non-taxable? If you are using a non-accountable plan and just giving the employee a fixed stipend amount each m...  more
    Last post by Jason Forlines - January 18
  • I am wanting feedback on where others are posting the state retirement portion paid by employees on W-2s. I was thinking that it would be marked retirement on box 13 and the amount...  more
    Last post by Jason Forlines - January 18
  • If you have payroll outsourced can you comment on the following:

1) What vendor you use
    2) Do you recommend
    3) How much staff time per pay period is needed to work with the vendor
    Last post by Bo Weichel - January 18
  • Now that the distractions of the holiday season are behind us, I want to reannounce/remind you that we will be offering a new two-day class, Introduction to the Fair Labor Standard...  more
    Last post by Diane Juffras - January 7
  • I was wondering if there was anyone who has a presentation that they have prepared for their governing board regarding converting from a pay-as-you-go to a Trust for funding OPEB?&...  more
    Last post by Stephen McNally - January 2
  • Is there a unit who has a Self-Insurance Fund (SIF) Governance document?  I've asked the UNC SOG and the NC League of Municipalities, but no luck.  We'd like to have...  more
    Last post by Anne Forbes - December 28, 2018
  • Good morning and Merry Christmas,What is your holiday pay policy in regards to employees working or taking off the day before or the day after a holiday? Do they still receive the ...  more
    Last post by Jamie Wood - December 19, 2018
  • Just in time to add to your list for Santa . . . . registration for the School of Government course Introduction to the Fair Labor Standards Act is now open.
    This is a new course t...  more
    Last post by Diane Juffras - December 17, 2018
  • We have a new employee that has resigned with receipt of only 2 paychecks. Both will be in December so no retirement account has been set up as no funds have been submitted to the ...  more
    Last post by Cathy Payne - December 14, 2018
  • If your organization unit gives a mobile device allowance, could you please share the amount and also a copy of the policy?  The Town of Morehead City is looking to restructur...  more
    Last post by Jewel Lasater - December 5, 2018
  • Caldwell County is having salary study completed.  We are using a company called the MAPS group.  Have any of you used them before?  If so could you share your exper...  more
    Last post by Tony Helton - November 16, 2018
  • As of 2018 moving expenses are taxable with the exception of military.  I am curious to know how other manipulates and utilities are processing these.  Are you still offe...  more
    Last post by Steven Smith - November 15, 2018
  • Does anyone use a company other than Cavanaugh McDonald to do their Actuarial?
    Last post by Samuel Johnson - October 12, 2018
  • I would like to contact someone in a county or city/town that uses Munis to report your agency's monthly ORBIT to the retirement system.  Please respond with a way to contact you.
    Last post by Judy Tate - October 8, 2018
  • Good Afternoon,We are looking for creative ways to incentivize participation in our volunteer firemen program.  How does your entitiy compensate or incentivize this?
    Last post by Julie Scherer - October 2, 2018
  • The School of Government (primarily yours truly) is offering a new two-day course called “Employee Benefits Law.” The course is scheduled for Tuesday, December 4, from ...  more
    Last post by Diane Juffras - September 25, 2018
  • I hope that everyone is safe. Here is some general FLSA information you may find useful if you are dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Florence.How to handle compensation of em...  more
    Last post by UNC SOG Administrator - September 17, 2018
  • I understand that there are some questions about FEMA reimbursement of storm-related salary and overtime costs. Here is an excerpt on FEMA reimbursement from the original draft of ...  more
    Last post by Diane Juffras - September 17, 2018
  • I am curious how many pay codes are being used by municiplaties/counties of 1500-2000 employees?  I am currently in the process of a conversion and trying to scale down our li...  more
    Last post by Jason Forlines - September 6, 2018
  • We crossed wires using the SOG’s new registration system. If you tried to register for Introduction to Public Employment Law, you may have received a response that the course...  more
    Last post by Diane Juffras - July 24, 2018
  • Hi, Wondering if any municipalities have restrictions in relation to who gets a COLA increase.  Specifically, do employees need to have been with the municipality for at ...  more
    Last post by Korena Weichel - June 21, 2018
  • I'm looking for examples of wage progression plans.  We are finishing up the implementation of a salary study and now we need to devise a plan to give employees an opportunity...  more
    Last post by David Beck - June 7, 2018
  • I am working on a Separation Allowance. On the Creditable Years of Service, the officer is wanting to use his actual work years (29.916 years) + his Sick Leave Converstion (.49), w...  more
    Last post by Cathy Payne - May 3, 2018
  • Yesterday, the Board of Trustees for the Local Government Employees Retirement System (LGERS) officially adopted employer contribution rates for FY2017-18. The full write-up on tho...  more
    Last post by Chris Nida - April 24, 2018
  • Does anyone have a resolution to use direct deposit for payroll? Please email direct or post to listserve.Elizabeth Sweeneyboguetown@bizec.rr.com
    Last post by Susan O'Brien - April 23, 2018
  • We are being approached concerning providing off-duty officers to be School Resource officers at the elementary school in our Town limits. I am assuming that these officers will be...  more
    Last post by Mimi Gaither - April 20, 2018
  • For those of you who are in the State Health Plan, what increase, if any, are you planning for your budget in 2019?  We are fairly new and I don't have any history for a proje...  more
    Last post by Mimi Gaither - April 17, 2018
  • We are considering adding a clothing stipend for certain non-uniformed employees. We know that the money is a taxable benefit under Publication 5138 since it will not meet the requ...  more
    Last post by Samuel Johnson - April 4, 2018
  • I would like to know how many towns give a longevity increase to their tenured employees. Please share what the employees receive, and if you have a written policy, please share th...  more
    Last post by J.B. Lagnie - March 15, 2018
  •  Are there any counties or muncipalities that offer any type of retirement or pension program to their County Commissioners or Councilman? If you do I would appreciate an...  more
    Last post by William Johnson - March 13, 2018
  • here are only 5 spots left in our Charlotte Advanced FMLA Workshop and only 4 spots in the New Bern location. We will not be offering this p...  more
    Last post by Diane Juffras - March 7, 2018
  • Would anyone be willing to share their most recent pay grade schedule and classification list?
    Last post by Jessica Curry - February 15, 2018
  • I was wondering if anyone would mind answering some questions about their payroll department.1) Do you outsource payroll?2) How many payroll employees do you have on staff?3) How m...  more
    Last post by Marsha Harbison - January 31, 2018
  • I need to add the value of a vest to an employees W-2. Can I do this without having added this to a paycheck where taxes were taken out? Is there a problem when my 941 reports for ...  more
    Last post by Jason Forlines - January 29, 2018
  • We have four spots left in the Advanced Fair Labor Standards Act Workshop to be held in Chapel Hill on February 21 – 22, 2018. This is the only advanced FLSA&n...  more
    Last post by Diane Juffras - January 22, 2018
  • Management has asked me to look into the "meal reimbursement rates" used by other municipalities and/or counties in NC.  The Town of Selma's current rate is $38 per day and is...  more
    Last post by Karen Evans - January 13, 2018
  • For law enforcement, is the payment of a longevity bonus subject to the 5% contribution to 401-k?
    Last post by Karen Evans - January 13, 2018
  • We offer life insurance of one times the yearly salary to full-time employees.  When computing the taxable benefit to employees do I need to calculate for employees whose sala...  more
    Last post by Jason Forlines - January 9, 2018
  • Municipalities with Police Departments, how do you pay your officers/dispatchers for holiday pay? Do you pay all of them, do you pay only the ones that work on the holiday, or do y...  more
    Last post by Rhonda Allen - January 5, 2018
  • In converting our software, we found two employees whose taxable wage amount was incorrect. One employee had been taxed using the incorrect withholding # and the other one had a de...  more
    Last post by Jason Forlines - January 5, 2018