Categories » Municipal Finance » Municipal Finance Q&A

Related SOG Blog Posts

Related SOG Courses

Related SOG Resources

Discussion Topics

• Good Morning!Does anyone use Southern Software's FMS financial software and use I-Cloud for online bill pay? Thanks!James CozartFinance Director Town of Long Viewjames.co...  more
    Last post by SONYA WEBSTER - August 25
  • Good afternoon,Just curious to see what other municipalities are doing when it comes to Capital Asset threshold amounts. Do you have that worked into a purchasing policy, or anothe...  more
    Last post by Shelly Shockley - July 23
  • Good Morning,Our PD is interested in setting up an officer fund to be maintained from donations.  We get a small donation or two each year and those usually just roll into the...  more
    Last post by Cindy Graham - July 22
  • I have some questions regarding police seized evidence (cash).  I am curious to know how many municipalities use a separate bank account for seized cash and if so, what are so...  more
    Last post by Wenona Thompson - July 20
  • For those of you in a Council/Manager form of government, who are your accounts payable check signers? Do you have a policy or procedure that lays out your accounts payable process...  more
    Last post by Shelly Shockley - June 17
  • Has anyone drafted a document for the Governing Board to accept the ARPA funds? If yes, would you be willing to share this document?Thanks,
    Last post by Liliana Noble - June 3
  • In order to ensure accurate and complete reporting of leases, we need to consider changing policies and procedures for tracking and reporting leases, both as a lessor and a lessee....  more
    Last post by Rebecca Wozniak - April 13
  • We are a small town of 9,300, and our Park and Rec Committee is planning an event which will include a car show.  The Committee wants to solicit sponsorships and funds from lo...  more
    Last post by Cheryl Bennett - April 1
  • Is there any requirement to verify that a contractor is a US citizen before awarding him a contract? This would be for a mowing/landscape contract.
    Last post by Jason Forlines - March 12
  • The City of Mebane is seeking applications for the position of Finance Director.  Please see the job description and visit our web page www.cityofmebane.com for more...  more
    Last post by Jeanne Tate - December 17, 2020
  • I would like to contact anyone who has set up a perpetual care fund.  Our town is looking at creating one.  ThanksSean 
    Last post by Sean Medlin - December 4, 2020
  • For those of you that receive Powell Bill funds and were incorporated after 2000, I know you have to appropriate funds for street maintenance (or construction) each year in order t...  more
    Last post by Susan Powell - September 10, 2020
  • I have seen where several Towns and Cities are working with downtown businesses to allow thier restaurants to expand outdoor seating in the streets to help them through the closure...  more
    Last post by Drew Finley - August 25, 2020
  • Since Public Safety (police officers) are presumed to be substantially dedidated to responding to COVID-19, am I understanding correctly that payroll (salaries) expenses can be inc...  more
    Last post by Cathy Payne - August 7, 2020
  • We are expecting the coronavirus issue is going to have an impact on the economy, thus, our Revenue.  We're specifically concerned about sales tax, occupancy tax, and possibly...  more
    Last post by Kimberly Pickett - March 23, 2020
  • Dear municipal finance officers,
    Do you want to share your experience dealing with the Single Audit and help advance the audit profession in North Carolina and beyond?
    If yes, plea...  more
    Last post by J.B. Lagnie - February 25, 2020
  • Hi,For Municipalities with a population of less than 20,000, can you please share how many employees that you currently have working in Billing & Collections, and how many employee...  more
    Last post by Mia Brown - February 11, 2020
  • Can anyone tell me what all revenues are based on population?
    Last post by Mimi Gaither - January 31, 2020
  • Can public funds be spent on the following: An art project is being planned to be displayed on property not owned by the Town.  It is a barn quilt display on one side of a bui...  more
    Last post by Cathy Payne - January 24, 2020
  • For those of  you that are a part of Electricities, do you or have you made transfers from your electric fund to your General Fund. If so could you please let me know how you ...  more
    Last post by Matt Rauschenbach - January 2, 2020
  • We need to share financial information with our board on a more regular basis.  Does anyone have current reports that you provide to your board that would be willing to share?...  more
    Last post by Katherine Lancaster - November 18, 2019
  • What Bond level do you have for your Finance Officer.  I know there is a $50,000 minimum bond required.  We have an annual budget of $28M and was wondering what other mun...  more
    Last post by Beth Blair - September 12, 2019
  • Can a town have a fundraiser for a specific purpose such as beautification of a park?Thank you in advance for your comment.Ann SuttonTown of Marshvilleclerk@marshville.org704-624-2515
    Last post by Ann Sutton - August 23, 2019
  • Good morning,We are looking for some new, sustainable revenue sources.  Our budget is really, really tight despite our recent property revaluation and reducing expenditures as...  more
    Last post by Gary Sanders - July 24, 2019
  • I would strongly encourage you not to do that.  Chapter 159 of the General Statutes requires you to ensure that the Town actually owes money before disbursing it (and if you o...  more
    Last post by Jason Forlines - June 11, 2019
  • We are currently accepting donations for a All-America City conference trip and the question has been asked about Facebook donations.  Has anyone worked wi...  more
    Last post by Kristin Stafford - May 6, 2019
  • We would greatly appreciate if anyone could share any written documentation on how PEG funds should be spent.Thanks
    Last post by MELISSA WILDER - April 30, 2019
  • Has anyone ever attended one of these Fred Pryor Seminars? We have one coming to our town this June, and I am curious if it will be worth my time to go.Thanks!
    Last post by Jason Forlines - April 24, 2019
  • We are looking at enforcement/debt collection for parking tickets.  We can not submit to debt set off because the debt, right now, would not get near $50.  We will not ha...  more
    Last post by TIFFANY BYRD - April 11, 2019
  • Are there any municipalities that run a retail store?  If so, any suggestions on a POS system?
    Last post by Alicia Escobar - March 14, 2019
  • Good Afternoon,As we move into a new world with our first Parks & Recreation Director, she and I have some questions.If we purchase items for sale at our concession stand, are we r...  more
    Last post by Jason Forlines - February 25, 2019
  • Are any municipal electric utilities accomodating furloughed federal workers differently than their regular payment/cut off policy?  (This has not been an issue in Morganton t...  more
    Last post by Karen Duncan - January 22, 2019
  • For those of you with utilities (especially water and/or sewer), do you have a spanish-speaking staff member that can assist customers?  If not, do you contract with an interp...  more
    Last post by Mary Lou Connelly - November 8, 2018
  • Are there any local governments who would be willing to share their credit/debit card policy?  We are going to start accepting cards and need to get a policy in place asap.&nb...  more
    Last post by Crystal Buchanan - October 23, 2018
  • Has anyone seen or used a non-approriation clause in a contract/agreement where there was a penalty that the City would pay to the vendor if funds were not appropriated by the boar...  more
    Last post by Jennifer Maready - October 18, 2018
  • Hi All,Can you answer the following questions, if you have utility funds in your organization? Thanks.

Are there established targets for working capital (current revenues less cur...  more
    Last post by Mary Lou Connelly - October 9, 2018
  • Good morning!! Did any of you have any resources that know of NC local governments who do their own mosquito spraying by truck  and would be interested in a mutual a...  more
    Last post by Ivonne Mendez - September 26, 2018
  • Good morning all,As some of you may know, the State Treasurer's Office has been working with local community colleges to offer a course in Basic Local Government Finance.  So ...  more
    Last post by Susan Powell - September 4, 2018
  • Good Afternoon,We will likely have our first-ever LEO retiree soon and maybe some to follow, depending on what we offer or are able to offer with the 25-year plan.Does anyone have ...  more
    Last post by Susan O'Brien - August 23, 2018
  • We are a small town with limited resources.  We have a few events each year.  One of is a Holloween event.  To offset some of the costs for the event, can we ch...  more
    Last post by Ann Sutton - August 14, 2018
  • Good morning. Like everyone else, we are digging for any extra funds for this upcoming budget. We contract out our trash service. We also do all the billing, collecting and all com...  more
    Last post by Kim Wells - May 9, 2018
  • Does anyone electronically advertise surplus property?  If so, what statute provides this guidance and where do you place the ads?  Thanks!
    Last post by Susan O'Brien - April 11, 2018
  • We are currently in the process of reviewing our Misc. Billing policy for grass mowing and demolition, there are abandon lots in the city that we mow on a monthly basis, and are no...  more
    Last post by stephanie hanford - April 10, 2018
  • Good Morning,For those who have facilities to rent, how do you handle keys?  Does the renter stop by city hall or another location to pick up/drop off a key or do you have som...  more
    Last post by Susan O'Brien - April 5, 2018
  • Has any unit of government created internal self assessments to identify your finance and accounting processes that could be improved, leading to greater efficiencies? Particularl...  more
    Last post by Anne Forbes - March 24, 2018
  • Good Morning,For those who have facilities (community building, picnic shelters, etc.) for rentals, do you use any type of facility rental software?  If so, do you mind sharin...  more
    Last post by Mimi Gaither - March 22, 2018
  • Good Afternoon,I am reading through the LGC memo 2018-05.  My interpretation is that the resolution is our option?  If we prefer to continue affixing the pre-audit certif...  more
    Last post by Caitlin Elliott - March 22, 2018
  • Is anyone had experience with QS1 software, good or bad? I'd like to hear from you.Also, does anyone have a current MUNICIPALITY chart of accounts you're willing to share?Thank you...  more
    Last post by Marsha Harbison - March 20, 2018